UFC Hall of Famer and ambassador for Karate Combat, Bas Rutten shares his thoughts on the state of combat sports as social media influencers have recently begun competing frequently. With the third season of Karate Combat debuting on July 1 on CBS Sports Network, Rutten explained in an interview with MMA Junkie why he was instantly willing to be a part of a the promotion’s unique approach to martial arts competition. “Well, they called me all the way from the beginning and they said, ‘Hey, we need an ambassador for the sport,’” Rutten said. “Since you come from a karate background, would you like to be our ambassador?’ I said, ‘What is it?’ ‘It’s a full-contact karate league.’ I go, ‘Woah, okay! Don’t say anymore. I want to do it!’ And then I found out the pit and the way it’s shaped and the way it was filmed and that was the icing on the cake.” “With these guys, they are having Olympic-level athletes fighting each other full contact, it’s the best,” Rutten stated. Related Video: Combat sports analyst Robin Black talks Karate Combat, Gamebred FC, and future of martial arts New approaches to combat sports come up from time to time, but perhaps the most interesting recent development in the space is the rise of YouTube stars lacing up the gloves and fighting legitimate fighters in the boxing ring.
BAD MMA Trending CloudUFC • Bellator • breaking • Conor Mcgregor • news • mma rumors • Jon Jones • video • Daniel Cormier • AXS TV Fights • Khabib Nurmagomedov • WSOF • PFL • videos • Ronda Rousey • Dustin Poirier • Donald Cerrone • featured • Anderson Silva • Demetrious Johnson • MMA • amanda nunes • Jorge Masvidal • Michael Bisping • max holloway • Tony Ferguson • Nate Diaz • tyron woodley • Georges St Pierre • Jose Aldo • radio • joanna jedrzejczyk • radio highlight • Holly Holm • Derrick Lewis • stipe miocic • anthony pettis • Cage Warriors • Alistair Overeem • francis ngannou
- MMA News (78611)
- UFC 265 ‘Embedded,’ No. 4: ‘It’s painful to train with Ciryl’
- Alexander Volkanovski eager to send statement vs. Brian Ortega: ‘Winning is just not enough’
- Dana White sees Jake Paul’s appeal fading soon, says ‘shelf life is very f*cking short’
- Halle Berry’s MMA film ‘Bruised’ gets Netflix release date
- MMA Junkie Radio #3181: UFC 265 preview, guest Raufeon Stots, more
- Video: Which Bellator, UFC fighters hit the next level last Saturday?
- Sean Strickland fires back at ‘cocky motherf*cker’ Luke Rockhold with expletive-filled video message
- Alexander Volkov vs. Marcin Tybura added to UFC 267 on Oct. 30
- Video: Cheyanne Buys reignites fighter pay conversation, and it’s not a good look
- Jose Aldo hopes bantamweight momentum continues at UFC 265: ‘It’s the best weight division for me’